I would like to get neighbors together to attend the Tuesday, Dec. 17th Township Board meeting to address the broadband situation. The meeting is at 7:30pm in the township hall.
Todd Gardner still wants to roll out broadband in our neighborhood. The township has indicated that he can build a tower under the Federal OTARD rule at the north end of our road on John Harnois’ property. The Township is firm, however, that he cannot provide service to anyone but John from that tower. To do so would be a change of use and have to meet the township tower ordinances. This includes rezoning part of John’s land as industrial as well as other provisions that are more appropriate for a large cell phone tower and not a smaller tower for internet service. This approach doesn’t seem fair to John and doesn’t seem to protect the rural integrity of our area.
The goal of the meeting is not to be confrontational or adversarial. It is to express the questions and concerns raised by many neighbors in our community such as:
1) Understand the township’s approach and how it will fix the broadband gap.
2) Understand what parts of the ordinance would apply and if it fits our situation.
3) Understand why this could not be rolled out under the OTARD rule.
4) Express our concern that the township has not taken any initiative to address the lack of broadband.
5) Explain that the township’s position seems to be obstructing our access to broadband.
Please attend the meeting next Tuesday at 7:30pm. The more people who show up, the more the township will realize this is a community wide problem and needs to be addressed.